As a member of the ActiveWins affiliate programme, it is your responsibility to ensure that your promotion methods are compliant with UK gambling regulations. The UKGC hold all operators to account for their affiliates’ marketing activities, and as such, we take your compliance seriously.
After applying to the programme, we will assess your traffic sources to ensure they are compliant. We have the following requirements and considerations for prospective affiliates:
- We require you to disclose all traffic sources that you will promote our brands.
- Your site(s) must include an 18+ age disclaimer and a link to a responsible gambling body (e.g. https://www.begambleaware.org/). For social media affiliates, we require this information to be in the about/bio section of your profile, and in even post you may make in future that features our brands.
- If your site is not targeting the UK, we will require a link to a country-appropriate responsible gambling body.
- Your site must abide by the CAP code (especially the gambling section), mainly:
- The website must not be designed to appeal to children.
- Gambling must not be promoted as a way to get guaranteed profits, generating income, or becoming wealthy.
- Your site must not offer incentivised traffic.
- If you are running an affiliate network, we will require full disclosure of traffic sources so that we can ensure compliance.
- If you are media buying, you must evidence to us that you are working with appropriate traffic sources and have proper controls in place to ensure compliance with UK Gambling Regulations.
- We do not allow direct marketing (email/SMS/phone/post) for new affiliates. If this is something you are interested in, we will only consider this once you have established a relationship with us, and after we confirm your methods are fully compliant.
- We do not allow promotion on:
- Adult Networks
- Illegal Streaming Sites
- Pop-under or pop-up campaigns
- ‘Advertorial’ style marketing
- Snapchat, Whatsapp, Telegram, Youtube (or other video services), Twitch (or other streaming services)
Once accepted to our programme, we have several requirements for how brands are promoted. Please see below for more information, as well as a further illustration of some of the conditions mentioned above.
Active Affiliates - Promotion Requirements:
We hold our affiliates to requirements set out by the UKGC and the ASA, and as such, we routinely check our members to ensure they are promoting our brands compliantly. This guide is designed to provide best practice for brand promotion and to give an insight into the type of things we wouldn’t consider compliant.
Failure to keep your promotion methods compliant and up-to-date can ultimately result in closing your account, so please ensure you read the following carefully.
- All advertised offers need to have the key terms visible at the point of advertisement.
There are a few different ways to comply:
Recommended - Using any of our banners in gif format will display the terms and be automatically updated:
Showing the conditions in small print alongside the offer:
These will need to be updated whenever the offer is changed.
Have terms available through a drop-down (either on click or mouseover):
These will need to be updated whenever the offer is changed.
Alternatively, displaying no offer details will mean no terms and conditions are needed:
- The full terms and conditions of any posted offer must be one click away.
Recommended - Use your tracking link to link to the offer landing page:
Alternatively, not displaying a specific offer would allow you to link to the site homepage if you wish to:
This may not convert as well as linking to one of our bespoke landing pages, which we highly recommend.
Finally, you could host the full terms and conditions of the offer on your site/app. We wouldn’t recommend this, however, as our landing pages are updated automatically to the latest offers and terms and conditions.
- Keep the ASA’s gambling code in mind when promoting.
There are many different regulations, but the most common issues are:
Promoting guaranteed profits, methods of generating income, or becoming wealthy.
The below examples resulted in the rejection of an affiliates application:
Promoting out of date offers (considered as misleading advertising by the ASA).
Frequently, affiliate partners inadvertently promote offers that are out of date, which has resulted in account closure in some cases:
- An 18+ age-disclaimer and a link to a responsible gaming body (we recommend https://www.begambleaware.org/) must be present on your site.
Essential – Including this information in the site footer:
This information should also be included at the point of advertisement wherever the offer is pushed:
Social Media Compliance
In general, our requirements for social media are the same as the above: Include salient terms, link to the full T&Cs (generally, the offer landing page) and comply with ASA regulations. The 18+ and begambleaware.org links must appear on the about us/bio page and in ant post that features our brands.
Here are some examples of compliant/noncompliant promotion:
Compliant - Clearly communicate all salient terms and prominently display the 18+ and begambleaware.org logos in the image.
Non-compliant - There is no 18+ or link to begambleaware.org.
Non-compliant - There are no salient terms, no 18+ or link to begambleaware.org.
Other frequently asked questions:
- Can I use my own creative instead of creative hosted on Income Access?
Ideally, we prefer affiliates to use the creative that is hosted on Income Access as we ensure this meets the Gambling Commission’s requirements and is fully compliant. However, if you have unique artwork that matches your domain branding, send all creative to your Affiliate Manager, to submit for review by our Compliance team. Once reviewed, your Affiliate Manager will notify you if the design is compliant.
- Can I send your offers to our email database?
We don’t allow this for new affiliates initially based on the risk to our brand partners; however, we may approve once we’ve established a strong relationship with you, and only on certain brands. If this is something you are interested in, contact your affiliate manager. Ensuring that your database is fully GDPR compliant will be essential if this is something that interests you.
You can read more about e-wallets and latest regulations in this unique gambling compliance blog.